Tuesday, January 5, 2010

WICKED Girl's Weekend!

So, with the holidays behind us, I can finally settle down and give you the WICKED details of our WICKED girl's weekend! One word for the musical - no, not WICKED silly! AMAZING! We had such a great time!
We headed out after work on Friday at 5 p.m. It was a good 6-7 hour drive so we knew we were in for a long night!
We cranked up the 90's station on XM (love XM radio!!) and we sang almost ALL the way to KC. My adorable Mom sent us a care package of snacks. Ummm, her chocolate chip cookies are THE BEST! Well, she had tied up the canisters with this cute tulle bow. Being the silly girls we were, we decided it would be hilarious if Sherri put it on her head when we went through the toll booth (kinda a like an adult hairbow!) I think we made the toll booth lady's night! She thought we were cute!
Ok, down the road 3 hours --- TULSA, OKLAHOMA. TARGET. We needed white long sleeve shirts to wear under our cute WICKED t-shirts we had made. T-shirts, I know, we're crazy thinking t-shirts, it's Kansas, Hello, cold weather, really cold weather in December!!!!
We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Chick-fil-a! Yummy! THEN, our road trip turned interesting! We had done a Mapquest search a few months back while planning our trip and we didn't really pay attention to the route or, let's just say, how many lanes the road was. We ended up on a scary 2 lane road and it just went on and on. We kept saying, "Surely we'll get back on the 4 lane soon." No, never happened. We stopped somewhere just over the Kansas line at a QuickStop and we all went in together to the bathroom! We were sure we were lost, but we had a map and we had GPS. We scared ourselves in one town, we saw a really big old house or some kind of building we were sure was haunted! We just knew we were going to get stranded out in the middle of nowhere. Did I mention is was a brisk 22 degrees? Silly girls! We were getting pretty tired, I think! We finally ended up on a 4 lane road shortly before getting into KC. We had made good time and had a new burst of energy and excitement as we neared the downtown. AND THEN IT HAPPENED...bright red and blue flashing lights in our rearview mirror! OH, CRAP. Yeah, we said something like that.... I have to give a shout out to my girl Sherri, we drove her SUV and she can drive I tell ya, well, unfortunately, it caught up with us. Yeah, can you all say Kansas Highway Patrol. How about 150.00 speeding ticket? We could see the name of our hotel on the building downtown as we sat there getting a ticket. Oh, well, have to remember the trip somehow, right?

We got to our hotel shortly after that. Did I mention now it was 19 degrees. BURRRRRR.
We got up and at 'em Saturday morning. We were only gonna be there 1 full day and had a lot to fit in. We started out at Memaw's Bakery. mmmm...pecan sticky buns!
Then we were off to shop...I had seen a neat shop on some blogs that is in Kansas City called The Curious Sofa. Soooo, we looked up the address, typed it into the good ole GPS and off we went. Well, when you have a city such as Kansas City that is split into 2 different states, Missouri and Kansas, it is important to type in the correct state into the GPS! We were driving up in front of the "hood" looking at the bars on the windows as the friendly voice on the GPS said, "arriving at your destination." We were PRETTY SURE this was not The Curious Sofa!
We finally found it and went on to a shopping area that was all really cool, local shops that featured local artists. It was unreal. We stayed for a couple of hours, then headed to the Country Club Plaza. It was all lit up for Christmas, so beautiful. We shopped some more. Sherri had an old high school friend that met us there and stayed the afternoon.
We had a plan for dinner, Dave's Famous Bar B Q!
UMMMMM..... the ribs were fall off the bone tender and it was sooo good. It was slap-your-grandma good. I can't believe we were able to eat because we were so excited to see the play. It was so cold outside but we ran the 3 blocks back to the hotel to get ready for the play. It was just across the street from the hotel. We primped and changed and off we went to get there early to soak it all in. All we could say was....."I can't see, can you?" Ok. I am all about getting your monies worth, but seriously, folks, the lady in front of me, stood up, folded her coat up and SAT ON IT!! Hello, "no, I paid for this ticket, but didn't want TO SEE THE SHOW! That was so rude. It was like I was a bobble-head. Look to the left, now to the right! I even turned to the ladies behind me and in a very LOUD voice said, "I am so sorry I keep moving but the lady in front of me is SITTING ON HER COAT!" Other than that, if you get the chance to see this play, GO! It was so good, amazing, colorful, wonderful, splendid, work of music. It's definately a "must-see." It is going to be in Dallas this spring or summer and my mom and I are going! I can't wait. Have any of you seen it? Let me know your thoughts. Elba was THE BEST! Wrapping up our trip, we took a different route home, 4 lane all the way, baby! And no tickets!! It was a great girls WICKED weekend!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you liked it!! We're obsessed about it at our house...even my 2 year old asks for the "witch" music in the car!!

    See it any chance you get. I just checked the schedule and Donna Vivino is in the company that will be in Dallas this summer...she is AMAZING as Elphaba. Lucky girl!!

    ReplyDelete