Saturday, November 14, 2009

My Holiday plans

This year I want to put a "slow down" button on my holidays. Thanksgiving and Christmas are my favorite time of the year. I love to be around my family and friends. I love seeing the sparkle in the kids eyes as they write thier lists to Santa! I just want to be able to savor every moment this year. My extended family has taken a hit this year as far as deaths and sickness in the family and I just am blessed that my family is healthy this holiday season - what else can I ask for!! I have been so inspired by Teresa over at A Baby Changes Everything. She is a professional Christmas tree decorator. I can't wait for the Friday after Thanksgiving - instead of hitting the sales, I'm hitting the storage building and dragging out ALL the Christmas decorations!!! I can't wait to decorate my tree. I can't wait to smell my favortie Aromatique candle burning, and mostly can't wait to wrap all the gifts in pretty packages and seeing them under my tree. By the way, most of those gifts have already been bought - that's the best part!
I am going to strive to reduce the stress this year, I am going to do things ahead so I can enjoy the moment and the excitement of the season. Last year, I spent so much time trying to catch up, I usually missed the whole thing! I am getting to do some exciting things this year and I want to be able to soak it all in. First of all, I have been asked to make two outfits for a new friend. She is taking her daughter to see 101 Dalmations (the play) in Dallas so she wants an outfit for her to wear. My pencil has been busy getting a plan on paper. It is going to be darling, I will definately post a picture. But the best one, she is taking her that same weekend to the Neiman Marcus Christmas parade and wants a Christmas outfit for that!! Doesn't that sound exciting! I have alredy bought the fabrics and only have one word - Fabulous. Pictures will be posted for that too!!!
My Mom and I always spend one Saturday, going to the local Christmas bazaar/show and then we hit our favorite shops that have thier Open houses the same day. We go to our favorite resturant and just enjoy the day. I look forward to it every year.
Overall, I want my holiday to be a memory making time for me and my family. I also wish the same for each of you!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm doing the same thing, Mandy Gal! I am determined to keep the main thing the main thing. Let's keep each other accountable. My motto is going to be "Simplify!!"...and I can't wait to see the outfits. I know they will be adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did this come out of my daughters mouth , or mine?!! I'm thinking the same thing! I love this time of year , Jesus was born! The love abounds! My family means everything to me. I love tradition, enjoy fixing a "Getting ready for the holiday" surprise box for each family each year, usually ornaments or something that I consider one of my favorite things! I give them that at Thanksgiving, and thus starts the celebration! I do look forward to a leisurely Sat., browsing at the local craft bazaar and freqenting "our" favorite local gift shops, with Mandy. It always comes down to the simplicity of the season---FAMILY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Christmas is my favorite time of year but if you aren't careful you can get caught up rushing here and there. I will be taking the time to enjoy myself as well.
    Hope you have a blessed holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can I get one of those slow down buttons. I am trying really really hard...starting things early. This November has been the most meaningful November I have had. One night right before Halloween my kids were in bed but the Charlie Brown special was on...I made myself sit and stitch and watched. I always watched that as a kid. We have it on dvd so my kids had seen it but I needed that in the moment, live with commercials. I am getting excited for next Friday to bring out the magical Christmas decorations too. Enjoy your Thanksgiving week!!!

    ReplyDelete