Friday, August 28, 2009

Cut from the same cloth

I wanted to post something very special today! So many people have commented on my new baby things and the sewing projects I have done recently and while it is so wonderful on my pride, I can't take all the credit! I am a third generation seamstress. Both of my grandmothers were excellent with their hands. My Memaw, my maternal grandmother, crocheted the most delicate and intricate doilies. I treasure all of the ones I have. She also has done a beautiful crocheted table cloth for each of her grand kids, even my brother (he's the only grandson) It covered my reception table at my wedding and has been on my table at home for many special occasions. She also made so many afghans. I love to snuggle into them on cold days and think about all of the time she invested in her projects. I miss her so much!
My Nanny, my paternal grandmother, is a quilter. The very first thing I remember her making for me was a "coat of many colors" when I was very small. She made a quilt for me when I got married and embroidered her signature on the back, it's the tiny things that are so special to me. She is where I get my "fabric addiction." I only used quotations because that's what my loved ones call it - I personally don't think it's a problem.
Then there is my mother, the second generation. My mother taught me to use my sewing machine. There is no one out there that can sew more perfectly than Mom. If something isn't right, she will rip it out and start over. She taught me to measure twice, cut once and all that jargon. I loved doing things with my Mom because I knew they would always be perfect. She also could put my vision into something tangible. I would come home and say, "Mom, I wish I had ___?__?__? and she would say, "Oh, we could make that!" She is very creative. I love bouncing ideas off of her - the only thing that she raises an eyebrow at is my choice of fabric, or actually the combination of my choices sometime. I once made a patchwork purse by just shutting my eyes and reaching into the bin for 6 pieces of fabric. She thought it was hideous but it was the first purse I sold at a craft fair! I love my Mom!!
All in all, I guess the love of sewing and creating is in my genes! Thankfully these special ladies loved me enough to share their love of doing it with me. I am so thankful!!

1 comment:

  1. Mandy, you made me cry! Your kind words brought back such sweet memories of Mom. She spent hour upon hours crocheting,she said it was like a nerve pill for her, BUT oh how we tangled when she tried to teach me! [I had a mental block about it! Ha!] She always wanted to know what projects we girls were working on! She was so very proud when you and Tina learned to crochet and embroidery. I treasure every minute spent bouncing ideas off each other, and all the many hours we have spent together creating them! I have come to admire your taste in color, it's moving me forward in my way of thinking about crafts! Ha! I love you, keep on sewing!!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete